Thursday, May 13, 2010

Walking on Water

When I was small I used to listen to a Hindi song that went, 'Ajkal paer zameen par nehi parte mere, bolo dekha hain kabhi tumne mujhe urte huwe' (My feet do not touch the ground nowadays, tell me, have you ever seen me flying?). I loved the song for whatever I was able to understand of it. Being able to do the impossible always seemed very attractive to me. Well, I did not fly but I got to do something no less interesting. I walked on water!

Day before yesterday we went to vist Lake Louise in the Rocky Mountains. The snow on the plains melted long ago. So, we were surprised to find the mountains covered by snow a foot deep. First we thought it had descended from the upper slopes of the mountains and then we realized that we were on the upper slopes of the mountain! We had not anticipated the cooler weather and the wind. Our fingers were stung by the cold wind. But what we saw when we reached the Lake was more amazing than the surprise we had experienced so far.

Lake Louise is created by the molten snow from the peaks of Rocky Mountain sorrounding it on all sides. Being in the slope of mountains, it is deep. Having nothing to shadow it but the sky, it is clear blue. But it is also tinged with green due to the reflection of the evergreen forests that cover the mountains. However, this time when we reached the Lake, the only colour on the Lake was white! The Lake has been frozen over by the winter.

It is dangerous to descend on frozen lakes as the layer of ice is ofen thin and the swift undercurrent of the liquid water underneath pulls people away from the opening so fast, if one happens to fall in, that rescue is almost out of the question. One has a cold and suffocating death awaiting him in that case. I pondered on it for a while looking again and again at the sign on the bank that read, 'Danger, thin ice'. Then I said, 'Forget it, how many times in life does one get the opportunity to walk on water?' So, I leave my husband and children on safe grounds and off I go!

Walking on ice is no different from walking on the solid ground except that you have to be very careful not to slip. I covered a long distance safely. But the thrill of knowing that there is deep water underneath your feet and you do not know how to swim, not that it would be any use if you could swim, is beyond expression. Just that was worth making the trip in the cold weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment